15 reasons to love swimming
Whether you’re in it for fitness or for fun, swimming provides plenty of reasons to get in the water. Here are just a few…
- It’s perfect for every swimming personality, whether you’re a social swimmer who loves a swim and a gossip with friends or a solitary swimmer who prefers to switch off and swim solo.
- There’s enough choice to keep you from becoming bored. Aqua-jogging, sprint work, water aerobics, fitness drills, training aids; every swimming session can be different, allowing you to beat boredom and stay motivated.
- You can work out as hard or as gently as you like, making it perfect for competitive swimmers and beginners alike.
- Being immersed in water is a great stress reducer and allows you to relax, escape reality and switch off from the rest of the world.
- A low impact sport, swimming is easy on the joints, making it suitable for every age and stage of life.
- Swimming releases feel-good hormones called endorphins into the bloodstream, leaving you with a natural post-workout high.
- It’s a great all-round body workout. In fact, a medium-paced half hour of freestyle swimming burns up to 255 calories.
- It’s a year-round activity. There’s no need to get cold and wet in order to stay fit during winter. Just nip to your nearest indoor swimming pool and enjoy a workout in the warm, relaxing water.
- It can save your life!
- Swimming skills open the door to a wealth of other exciting water-based sports such as surfing, diving and water-skiing.
- It’s fun for all the family – from babies to grandparents, swimming is a great social activity for all age groups.
- You can swim wherever there’s a pool (or ocean or lake), making it a great way to keep fit while on holiday.
- It provides an all-over body workout.
- You can target specific problem areas using training aids such as pullbuoys (great for arm work) and kickboards (great for leg work).
- It’s a great way to maintain your fitness during pregnancy and beyond.